Saint James Hospital is accreditated by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO).
Saint James Hospital is a 182-bed, full-service community hospital continuously serving the Greater Ironbound Community since 1900, and offering a broad range of primary care health services. Founded as Saint James Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum and Hospital, the two were incorporated on November 15, 1890, and opened in May 1900.
In 1958, the name of the facility was changed to Saint James Hospital, and the ground was broken for a new building. In 1980, Saint James Hospital became a division of the Cathedral Healthcare System.
Saint James Hospital recently completed a $6.5 million modernization project resulting in a totally renovated facility, including the latest, state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment. Saint James Hospital recently received the Press, Ganey Compass Award for outstanding performance improvement in patient satisfaction. A caring, bilingual, medical, nursing, and ancillary staff make patient satisfaction a primary focus.
|Céu Cirne-NevesAdministrator||In partnership with its medical staff, Saint James Hospital offers a broad range of medical, surgical, obstetric, and pediatric services. The medical staff is comprised of over 220 bilingual, highly trained physicians, many of whom practice in the community and represent an array of primary care and specialty services.|
Saint James Hospital offers psychiatric services in a Mental Health Care Unit that includes a six-bed, short-term care facility. A 13-bed Emergency Department features a fast-track service and a Hazardous Decontamination Unit. The Emergency Department is heavily utilized, providing timely, quality care and attention to an ever-increasing number of patients.
|A new Center for Same-Day Surgery provides the highest-quality medical care services, patient comfort and conveniences, and the most advanced technology today. Physicians utilize noninvasive laparoscopic and laser-assisted techniques to perform a full range of same-day surgeries and procedures to effectively treat chronic pain. Convenient parking for patients and their families is available in the Saint James parking garage.||Robert Picciano, MDPresident, Medical Staff|
In keeping with our mission to increase service to the community, Saint James Hospital operates a Family Care Center (FCC). Located on campus, the FCC provides outpatient preventive and diagnostic care and illness management for adults and children. The FCC offers special pediatric services, including asthma management, immunizations, and screening for lead poisoning, as well as a growing obstetrics clinic.
Another service offered to the community is the Diabetes Center at Saint James Hospital, which is available to patients who are admitted to the hospital or who, with a physician’s referral, need outpatient diabetes self-management training. Bilingual doctors and nurses are available.
In the year 2000, Saint James Hospital marked its Centennial of Service to the community. Céu Cirne-Neves, the Administrator, announced the establishment of a fund-raising drive called the Centennial Fund. To celebrate the centennial and to recognize those who make a significant contribution to Saint James Hospital, a “Tree of Life” sculpture is featured in the lobby. Engraved inscriptions recognize donors on leaves and doves within the sculpture. Information on opportunities to donate to Saint James Hospital may be obtained by calling the Public Relations Department